"When you get those rare moments of clarity, those flashes when the universe makes sense, you try desperately to hold on to them. They are the life boats for the darker times, when the vastness of it all, the incomprehensible nature of life is completely illusive. So the question becomes, or should have been all a long... What would you do if you knew you only had one day, or one week, or one month to live. What life boat would you grab on to? What secret would you tell? What band would you see? What person would you declare your love to? What wish would you fulfill? What exotic locale would you fly to for coffee? What book would you write?"


Monday, September 26, 2011

Who Would You Be?

I'm a girl. In case you didn't already know that. I chose nursing as my primary profession, and artistry as my secondary. Makes sense, right? Kind of...the norm? Lots of women become nurses and lots of nurses are women.


But would I have chosen differently if I were born a male? Yes. I would have definitely gone into architecture, or construction. Something to do with my hands, drawing, and math all together. In fact, architecture was my first choice of profession but at the age of 17, I was frightened by a profession dominated primarily by males...and *business suits* (ew).  So nursing it was.



That is not to say that If I were male, and still had my current personality, that I wouldn't make a great male nurse....I would. But would I have ever even considered nursing if I were male? Or did I consider it because I was female?

It's interesting to think about. What about you? Would you have chosen differently if you were born the opposite sex? Are you an uncommon gender in a profession dominated by the other gender? What made you choose that?


I wish we didn't live in a society where jobs are still "genderized". But we do. We probably always will. However more and more males are coming into nursing and I support them 100%. I think, 98% of the time, males make great nurses. Chances are if they are a guy and chose to go into nursing, they are also compassionate men, caring, sensitive and loving too, and yet have the male features of being good under pressure, assertiveness and getting things done fast. I wish men weren't so afraid to come into the profession because they feel they are outnumbered by women. And it is true, they are severely outnumbered. At my current workplace, I work with ZERO coworker male nurses. I have worked with three over the course of the past five years, but only zero currently. The only males around are......can you guess it? Can you? Yep. Doctors.



So, men out there job-less or in high school and don't know where to take your life, consider nursing! Consider the benefits for you:

- you get to be around women alllll the time. And nice women (mostly!) too.
- you (usually) work 3 days a week, 4 off.
- you can travel anywhere and still be a nurse
- there has got to be over 10,000 different types of nursing positions, all with the same degree

And there are other reasons too I swear, Im just exhaustified and need sleep and my brain power stopped at exactly 7:30 when I got off shift tonight.  But really guys, we need you!



Look for another post coming tomorrow! For now,


~WNB



.

No comments: