"When you get those rare moments of clarity, those flashes when the universe makes sense, you try desperately to hold on to them. They are the life boats for the darker times, when the vastness of it all, the incomprehensible nature of life is completely illusive. So the question becomes, or should have been all a long... What would you do if you knew you only had one day, or one week, or one month to live. What life boat would you grab on to? What secret would you tell? What band would you see? What person would you declare your love to? What wish would you fulfill? What exotic locale would you fly to for coffee? What book would you write?"


Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Magical Bookstore

I found magic!

For those of you that have seen "A midnight in Paris" movie, remember how Owen Wilson's character felt when he found the secret society? How magical it felt?

Well, I found that. In my town. My new town...(I recently moved).

My new city now is known every where to the nation to be "The Christmas City", if that gives you any clue. The city alone is very, very, very magical, culturally fun, and very artistic. I have been astronomically impressed every time I venture outside my bubble here, and new (and old!) friends have been so kind as to not only show me these new magical experiences, but to experience them for the first time themselves as well. It's been kinda pretty awesome.

Anyway, tonight's adventure was out to dinner, but this was no ordinary restaurant! First of all, it was called "the bookstore". Now, any of you that know me personally know that I was already in love with any restaurant called "the bookstore" without having stepped foot in it.

We had trouble finding it at first. The location our gps brought us to...well, it didn't exist. The magic of this place I guess is that it wants you to discover it on your own. Without technology. To open your eyes.

It was finally found in a little alcove in the city- a tiny black door labeled "the bookstore". We hesitantly went for it and walked in anyway. And it was amazing.


The restaurant was truly...just, out of this world. It looked like a 1920s bookstore. Piano, with 1920s music (of course), a bar with 1920s drinks...and the tables were set up so you could actually have a conversation.

They gave you a rule book, with some cute rules, and some serious, some funny, including how to actually pretend you're in the 1920s with them.

We ordered drinks from the era, and ordered off a menu that was literally taped inside an existing book. Adorable.

The atmosphere was just, jolly. It was happy. It's what I've needed.

A previous restaurant near and deaf to my heart will always have that first place, the "favorite memorable restaurant"category, but I can no longer go there. But it will always own a chip in my heart and memory. But this restaurant, this is a pretty wicked, and different- replacement. I can't wait to go again. Magical.


Some pictures to enjoy....(it was pretty dark so I only have a couple) :-)

No comments: