"When you get those rare moments of clarity, those flashes when the universe makes sense, you try desperately to hold on to them. They are the life boats for the darker times, when the vastness of it all, the incomprehensible nature of life is completely illusive. So the question becomes, or should have been all a long... What would you do if you knew you only had one day, or one week, or one month to live. What life boat would you grab on to? What secret would you tell? What band would you see? What person would you declare your love to? What wish would you fulfill? What exotic locale would you fly to for coffee? What book would you write?"


Saturday, October 9, 2010

An Amazing Conversation

So yesterday I went to the library to study for my huge test coming Monday, and this guy sits down at the same table as me and we study for about 30 minutes or so. Then I needed a break and took my iPod off and sort of just sat there staring out the window. He made a comment about my med/surg book and asked if I was in the nursing program and how the program was. So we got to talking, small talk. I asked about his major and whatnot, (and noticed he had a thick German accent) and he told me he was a German transfer student and was here in America for his degree and then law school, hopefully. Well, through talking I learned so much about...the world! It was funny because the first thing he said was that in Europe, people see America as a place for new adventures and an interesting place to be. I told him that was really funny because everyone in America sees Europe as the place to be, and somewhere for new adventures. He said that he was very surprised when he cams here because everyone here was "normal" and it was "just like being in Germany except everyone spoke English." I thought that was funny.

Then he brought up a rather interesting point (later on in conversation) that he felt sorry for Americans because it was harder for them to be more cultured. Most americans never make it out of the country, because it is so big. He was saying that for him it is a 3 hour day trip to Italy, and that him and his friends go all the time for the day or weekend. I told him the equivalent type trip here was going to the end of our own state, the jersey shore (~3 hours). That is just unbelievable. So he said that it is normal for many Europeans to travel to other world cities for a day or weekend, and that many europeans were well versed in other cultures and languages because of it. It is nice that America is so big but I am rather jealous that he could reach so many places in Europe so quickly. It takes multiple days just to drive to the other side of my country. Half the time I can't even identify what state goes where on the map or the capital of each state or anything. Our country is rather big. I learned a Lot of other unique culture aspects from him and I am so glad I got to talk to an out of country transfer student! Very very cool. I love learning about other cultures from someone who had actually lived it, rather than just from a text book. :-)

No comments: