"When you get those rare moments of clarity, those flashes when the universe makes sense, you try desperately to hold on to them. They are the life boats for the darker times, when the vastness of it all, the incomprehensible nature of life is completely illusive. So the question becomes, or should have been all a long... What would you do if you knew you only had one day, or one week, or one month to live. What life boat would you grab on to? What secret would you tell? What band would you see? What person would you declare your love to? What wish would you fulfill? What exotic locale would you fly to for coffee? What book would you write?"


Monday, October 25, 2010

If I Could Ask for Any Superpower...

....It would first be a photographic memory. Yes, I do consider that a superpower. How convenient would it be to be able to automatically memorize an entire chapter just from reading it once? During a test, to be able to "pull up" any page that you read before and therefore find an answer? I almost think that it is unfair for normal people (Me) to be tested with people like this. It just so happens that two of my friends have this type of memory and I can see how it works-- I am just super jealous. I have tried to train my memory to remember visualizations during studying, I have made big posters of my study material and have studied them before bed and in the morning (they are by my bed), but it does nothing, I have been getting the same consistent *low* grade on my tests no matter how hard I try. And then there are people that can read the material once and be fine, and get a high A.

Ok, done venting.

My second superpower would be to never have to sleep. If i dont want to. And not feel any effects from not sleeping. Of course, sometimes, i love to sleep when I have nothing better to do and I am tired...but it would be nice to be able to pull an all nighter whenever I wanted and not have to deal with the repercussions of that within the entire next week...(i get exhausted very easily). If I didn't have to sleep at all....I could work the whole night, I could get so much more done...its quiet at night too. I could read...study...or, I could do pleasurable things like paint, or draw or catch up on TV, while day can be reserved for all study time. THere just isnt enough time in the day.

Im not interested in any of the typical superpowers. Speed, mind reading, invisibility, strength.....Im really just after intelligence. And its not just because I want to excel in my nursing program...its just for me. Its frustrating knowing I ALREADY READ something and I have to re-read it four more times before it really sets in, or how easily i forget things, or that I feel like I will never know anything about anyhting. I think of myself as a sponge. I want to learn as much as possible because I love to learn new things...I just wish I could remember what I learn. :-(

No comments: