"When you get those rare moments of clarity, those flashes when the universe makes sense, you try desperately to hold on to them. They are the life boats for the darker times, when the vastness of it all, the incomprehensible nature of life is completely illusive. So the question becomes, or should have been all a long... What would you do if you knew you only had one day, or one week, or one month to live. What life boat would you grab on to? What secret would you tell? What band would you see? What person would you declare your love to? What wish would you fulfill? What exotic locale would you fly to for coffee? What book would you write?"


Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Just Imagine the Possibilities...

This thought occurred to me the other day. It happened to occur to me while I was driving...it's so easy to let your mind travel off and daydream while you drive. Anyway, the epiphany of the day was this: What if, in a hundred years, give or take a few, humans learned how to actually travel through time? Ok, hear me out on this one. Given the fact that yes, it is highly unlikely and impossible, you never know. Certain physicists have looked into the possibility of being able to confound time and therefore make it possible. I would believe it if they said it was possible. So lets hypothetically say that right now, in this day, time travelling was a possibility. Whether that be future, or past, I'm not sure...I wonder what one would be more likely to be scientifically possible. So, lets say you can travel to the past. Who would you go visit?

Being that my grandmother is quite possibly my very best friend, I would choose to visit her, when she was close to my age. I would also try and visit my teenage self and tell myself not to do a lot of stupid things I did. Or to do a lot of good things I did too. Or didn't do. But then that tampers with who I am now, so probably not the best idea. If we *could* travel to the past, I'm sure there would be ground rules. Only special people would be able to do it first, like military personnel, and world leaders I'm sure. THey wouldn't let every household to have a time travelling machine to be just as common as the refrigerator, otherwise half of us probably wouldn't exist....(If you think about it). Rules would be along the lines of: Don't tell anyone you are from the future, under any circumstances. You would probably end up in a psych ward. Don't tamper with history?

Anyway, back to the point, I would visit my grandmother. She was born in 1930 and I would want to meet her in college, probably anywhere in 1950-1951. I would need to do a lot of research before travelling to that era....!! But I wouldn't be able to tell her who I was, her granddaughter, as much as I would want to. She wouldn't recognize me, as she hasn't met me yet. There is a possibility she wouldn't even like me...She has to like me now, its in the granddaughter-grandmother contract signed at birth! :)

So, my FINAL point of this blog is, who is to say that MY granddaughter, or actually probably great granddaughter hasn't thought of the same thing? In 100 years, what if they can travel to the past and she wants to meet me right now? How would we know any different? Think about it. You wouldn't. Providing they did research on this time period, dressed and talked like us, and didn't mention the fact that they were from 2110, who would know? What if your best friend right now, or someone new in your life, was your future granddaughter/grandson? Or anyone, that wants to meet your current (past) self.....Has there ever been anyone in your life that randomly came up to you to have a lengthy conversation with you and then you never saw them again, and they seemed genuinely interested in you? (And they weren't a pickpocket!) ? Think about the possibility....what if....what if your --best friend-- is actually from the future, but doesn't want to return to the future so they are staying in this time period, to stick around you? What if you fell in love with someone from the future but didn't know?? AH, think of the possibilities...I think I am brewing a novel here. Although its on the eerie verge of Cheesy/romantic/sci-fi and I don't do cheesy.

The only flaw in my master epiphany is that I'm pretty sure my great granddaughter won't even know who I am, nor will she have any interest in meeting my 22 year old self. But you never know.

Something to think about. When I told my friend about this earth shattering realization, he said he could have sworn they already made a movie about this, but wasn't able to think of the title. SO there is hope! For what? I don't know! I'll start the screen wright now....I'll make my own movie!

;)

~WNB

No comments: