"When you get those rare moments of clarity, those flashes when the universe makes sense, you try desperately to hold on to them. They are the life boats for the darker times, when the vastness of it all, the incomprehensible nature of life is completely illusive. So the question becomes, or should have been all a long... What would you do if you knew you only had one day, or one week, or one month to live. What life boat would you grab on to? What secret would you tell? What band would you see? What person would you declare your love to? What wish would you fulfill? What exotic locale would you fly to for coffee? What book would you write?"


Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Unsurpassable amounts of snow blog, as promised...(with PICTURES!)

Have you ever shovelled snow as tall as you? (well, almost?) Because I can now proudly add that to my resume.  Unfortunately most companies won't really give a flying fudgestick. Anyway, my family decided to continue on with our annual Long Island trip this year to celebrate Christmas with my grandmother and uncle. Despite the snow forecast (A bajillion feet of snow is coming. To Long Island.) So we drove up (across?) to Long Island on Christmas day and settled in, and watched the snow start to fall early the next day. It was a great day. We played board games, drank a boatload (thats a lot) of tea, cooked fun things like STUFFING (I love stuffing) and potatoes, and meat and stuff like that. Occasionally we looked outside and thought, aw, how pretty. Or, "ooh, wow, it certainly is windy, isn't it?" I would occasionally ask a friend at home, "Hey, hows the snow there?" To only get a minimal response of "Not much...an inch maybe?" Which led me to make the face of...."o_0" aka (That's lame.) Little did I know...


SO, the next morning we all woke up and were all like WOW LOOK AT ALL THIS SNOW. To better illustrate the magnitude of HAPPY snow, here is a picture:


Notice you can't see the street that I so kindly pointed out for you. ALSO NOTICE the TWO FEET of snow that you see on the bush in front of you. But, at that moment in the day, I was elated to see two feet  of snow in front of me, because hey, I hadn't seen my good friend snow yet this year, and I was happy to see two feet's worth of my good friend, snow on our first meeting together. We had breakfast and it was jolly. We sang happy songs and did happy dances because of all the snow and made adventurous plans to go be jolly in the snow and make snow angels and jump in it and cause massive amounts of frostbite. It wasn't until I heard the following sentence, pointed in my direction, that I started to wonder how good of friends me and snow actually were: "Were going to have such a fun time shovelling..."

At first, I was all like YEAH! Dude, I get a workout! This is awesome because I forgot my wii workout program at home and this could be my pseudo-workout! DUDE I'm going to be BUFF. So we (my dad and I) suited up and we trekked outside to shovel. It was still two feet (unfortunately none had melted)...and the snowblower was deemed not-usable. So everything was going great. I was shovelling the walkway and my Dad was digging our van out. It wasn't until I turned the corner, to approach the driveway, that I realized snow and I were not friends anymore.

I forgot, or maybe failed to realize that because it was so windy, snow drifts. Yes, isn't that nice? So, even though we got 2 feet of snow which was a lot to begin with, that tip of drift you see on the left there is approximately 4'8".  K? Folks, I am not used to this. I do not live, nor do I ever plan to, live in Wisconsin. (Thats the only place I can think of that gets a lot of snow. I'm sure there are other places. Like, Long Island for instance.) I'd also like to mention that snow drifts really don't care about your well being, and like to taunt you and there is probably a wind-snow god laughing ridiculously as I stood there, looking at the unsurpassable amount of snow ahead of me. Snow drifts are not fair because, the neighbor got like, 2 inches of snow. Approximately. Because it all ended up on our driveway.

o_0.

So I'm not going to bore you with the shovelling details. It was hard. There was a lot of grunting (mostly by me) and my dad thought I had suddenly turned Chinese, or was playing tennis or something because I suddenly thought that if I could make a really annoying sound each time I lifted a shovelfull of snow, that maybe, just maybe, it would be easier to lift.

But we did it. It took us five hours to make a pathway to my grandma's car, and we almost gave up, many times. But we persevered. I went inside and hid underneath my covers with a cup of tea.

BUT THEN. OH, THERE IS MORE. IT GETS BETTER.

Two days later, after the roads were deemed passable and driveable on, we decided it was time to head home. It wasn't until we were about halfway home, did we realize that even though our humble town in NJ only got 3-4 inches, that our driveway was most likely going to be a sheet of 3-4 inches of snow and ice. And its uphill too, I'd like to add.

We had high hopes for something different. Such as:
"Well maybe it melted." or.."Maybe one of our neighbors plowed it"...or, "maybe our neighborhood didn't get any snow..magically"

neither of those high hopes happened.
Instead, we pulled up to our driveway and my dad was all like:

"I think we can get up. It doesnt look that deep."
Mom was all like, "I don't think we can".
Dad: "I dont care. Lets try it."

So we tried it. It was going really well until we stopped exactly halfway up, and heard the wheels spinning and the van was officially not moving. In retrospect, I am very mad I did not get out and take a picture for the sole purpose of blogging, so instead I drew a picture:



So thats how it all went down. In case you are from Mexico or somewhere where snow NEVER happens EVER, snow is NOT in fact Purple. It is white. However, you try and DRAW snow. White snow. On a white background. So I made it purple for the day.

So we got out, got our bare essentials and trekked into the house. We went back out. And shovelled. We dug out van out first, which was very difficult because the tires had pounded the snow into the blacktop, making a lovely sheet of snow/ice which is not shovel-friendly.

So thats my story of the blizzard of 2010. In long island. It was epic.

Needless to say though, me and snow have still not made up. we are still not friends. It will have to take a lot of work to rebuild that friendship. Maybe, one day.

~ A Writer in a Nurse's Body

EDIT:

my spell checker keeps telling me Unsurpassable is not a word that it recognizes. However I refuse to change it because I like it and I think it describes the amount of snow that we faced. Sorry for the possible confusion.

No comments: