"When you get those rare moments of clarity, those flashes when the universe makes sense, you try desperately to hold on to them. They are the life boats for the darker times, when the vastness of it all, the incomprehensible nature of life is completely illusive. So the question becomes, or should have been all a long... What would you do if you knew you only had one day, or one week, or one month to live. What life boat would you grab on to? What secret would you tell? What band would you see? What person would you declare your love to? What wish would you fulfill? What exotic locale would you fly to for coffee? What book would you write?"


Monday, February 14, 2011

Sometimes, You Just Have to Nod & Smile...

So here's how it went down:

patient calls call bell. My coworker answers bell. Patient is normally very nice, alert and oriented to person place and time.
Coworker comes out.
Me: What did he want?
CW: *puzzled look* I don't know...Something about his input and output, and garbage and input again... I don't know.
Me: Hmm. Thats weird.

*an hour later*
Patient calls again. I answer this time.
Me: Hi, Mr. Patient, How can I help you?
Patient (on verge of tears): Everybody thinks my input is my output and my input is garbage and everyone is throwing my output away.
Me: Um,...*silence*...
Patient: *waiting for a response*
Me:  Well, Mr. Patient, what do you mean by input and output?
Patient: I mean my input and my output and everyone thinks it is garbage but its not!
Me: I know its not garbage. No one thinks it is garbage.
*Silence*
Me: Are you concerned about your foley catheter?
Patient: *looks at catheter*...No, you emptied that.
Me: *nods*
Patient: Everyone thinks my input is garbage on my table and is throwing it away. And my output.
Me: *Looks at table* Mr. Patient, I can assure you- No one is going to throw any thing away without your permission. No one thinks any thing of yours is garbage.
Patient: OKay. I Feel better now.
Me: Okay, well- Goodnight. Try and get some rest.
Patient: THank you for listening to me.



Weirdest conversation I have ever had. I guess that just proves that "therapeutic communication" that we learned in Psych really does come in handy, even if you have NO idea what you are talking about with the other person....


~WNB

No comments: