"When you get those rare moments of clarity, those flashes when the universe makes sense, you try desperately to hold on to them. They are the life boats for the darker times, when the vastness of it all, the incomprehensible nature of life is completely illusive. So the question becomes, or should have been all a long... What would you do if you knew you only had one day, or one week, or one month to live. What life boat would you grab on to? What secret would you tell? What band would you see? What person would you declare your love to? What wish would you fulfill? What exotic locale would you fly to for coffee? What book would you write?"


Sunday, June 26, 2011

Nursing Rule 101

If you want a surefire way to awaken a sleeping giant, in case you ever felt the desire to do this-

--just stick a thermometer in their ear.






Sometimes, no matter how hard I try to jostle someone awake- shout their name, touch their arm,  hand, whatever- they don't wake up. But I have to get their temperature, you know? So then I shrug and I'm all like, whatever. So then I even WARN THEM even though they are totally unconscious and not listening, that I am going to put a thermometer in their ear. And then when they still don't respond despite my valiant efforts- I go ahead and do it and then without fail, every time, I nearly get attacked, swatted at, yelled at, etc.


Hey, I warned you. I need that temperature at any cost.


But really, keep that in mind if you ever have a patient that totally isn't responding to anything you do. If they don't respond to that, they might be dead.




Disclaimer: they probably aren't dead. Continue with normal dead-checking measures.

It's coming for youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu in your sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.



~WNB humor

1 comment:

Diana said...

haha, what a story. It made me giggle, because I could totally imagine it in my head. Thank you so much for your sweet and thoughtful comments of late - I feel so honored by them. xo